Your Max headphones possess elite materials to ensure quality sound and comfort. If you want to make it more comfortable, you can adjust the telescoping arms based on your fit. To improve the sound experience, Apple made sure you could tailor-make the audio according to your preference.
How to Properly Wear AirPods Max
Wearing your AirPods Max is second nature if you’re used to donning headphones. It has ear cushions that sports a discreet L and R label to help you put it on properly.
You simply need to align the left earphone to your left ear and do the same to the right side. Ensure that your Max headphones are snugly in contact with your ear for an optimal sound experience. Another tip is to only wear them on clean and dry skin to utilize its premium features properly.
Can You Use AirPods Max Backwards?
Logically speaking, nothing is stopping you from wearing your AirPods Max backward. It’ll play the same sounds, connect to other devices without problems, and you’ll still have functional headphones over your head.
However, you might want to consider the drawbacks when wearing it backward. Apple put the L and R labels for a reason, including maximizing the nine microphones present.
That’s right! Your premium Airpods Max headphones has nine microphones for the best Active Noise Cancellation experience. Additionally, it also helps convey your voice in crisp quality to the other line.
When you wear it the unconventional way, the panning of the audio is inverted. This means that your microphones face the opposite direction, which is bad news when you’re in a call. The receiving end will have trouble picking up your voice, and you may even sound choppy.
How to Make AirPods Max More Comfortable
Truth to be told, the AirPods Max is comfortable as it is. With Apple focusing on comfort over aesthetics with these headphones, it’s a no-brainer that you’ll find it pleasant at first use. It might be a tad heavier than what you’re used to, but it’s engineered to distribute weight evenly.
You may feel awkward during the first few uses, but that’s what memory foam is for! The best way to make your AirPods Max more comfortable is to wait. Since the material used in the ear cups are soft and pliable, it will meld with your head shape in no time.
The mesh headband design is also a unique one. It will simply settle down the top of your head without letting you feel the pressure. Plus, its mesh canopy is flexible enough to cater to different head sizes.
How to Adjust AirPods Max Size
You’re probably aware that your luxury headphones are comfortable enough to wear as it is. However, each user’s head is unique and sized differently. That’s why Apple made sure to include adjustable features to its renowned minimalist design.
Made with stainless steel telescoping arms, you can easily adjust the size of your AirPods Max. By pulling it or pushing down the sides, you’ll be able to alter it based on your desired fit. These retractable arms are sleek, so you won’t have any trouble modifying them.
How Do You Wear AirPods Max With Glasses?
Apple’s premium headphones are built with all kinds of users in mind, including glasses-wearing individuals. You won’t need to access any secret hacks or purchase additional accessories for the Max to work.
You only need to wear your specs like you usually do and then wear your headphones properly. The memory foam material and airy mesh covering will do their work and adjust to the rim. This applies to any kind of glasses you wear, from thick to ultra-thin ones.
Don’t worry about the feeling you get when layering headphones over glasses, either. With its adjustable aluminum cups and breathable materials, you’ll be free of discomfort.
Can You Answer a Call on AirPods Max?
If you’re a premium Apple elitist, you’re sure to be familiar with the only two buttons on the AirPods Max. One of them toggles Noise Cancellation, but the one to watch out for is the Digital Crown knob. With this dial, you’re able to answer calls on your headphones, among other things.
This knob is originally from the Apple Watch, but the company decided that it is a great addition to the headphones built with comfort in mind. It seems like a nice touch and enables you to control your source device without taking it out of the pocket.
If your AirPods Max is connected to an iPhone, iPad, or any eligible Apple device and a call comes through, simply press the knob once. By pressing one time, you can immediately answer the call. Once done, end the call by giving the knob another tap.
Alternatively, if you want to reject the incoming call, all you need to do is press the Digital Crown knob twice.
How to Get Your AirPods Max to Announce Calls
Apple understood the assignment when they assimilated the Announce Calls feature on their iOS 10 updates. This upgrade lets you know who’s calling even when you’re not looking at your device’s screen. Here’s how you do it on your phone or Apple Watch:
- Step 1: Navigate to the ‘Settings’ screen.
- Step 2: Tap on the ‘Phone’ option, and it will expand.
- Step 3: Scroll through the Calls heading and click on ‘Announce Calls’.
- Step 4: You can opt to announce calls on ‘Headphones Only’ or allow the feature to function on ‘Headphones and Car’.
When you enable the Announce Calls feature, your ringtone will ring and then quiet down so Siri can read the caller ID. If the phone number isn’t saved in your contacts, Siri will announce the digits appearing on the screen. Similarly, when the phone number isn’t shown, the smart assistant will say “Unknown Caller” instead.
Additionally, on days you put your phone on ‘Do Not Disturb’, the Announce Calls feature won’t function at all. This also applies when your device is on vibrate.
How to Make Calls With AirPods Max
Making calls with your AirPods Max is quite simple; you just need to activate Siri to do it for you. Here’s how:
Device With WiFi and Cellular
- Activate your smart assistant by saying, “Hey Siri,” then instruct her to call the mobile of your choice. For example, “Call Chad’s mobile” or simply recite the digits.
Device Without Cellular
- Once you activate Siri, say “Make a Facetime call,” then mention the name of your intended recipient. Another alternative is to press and hold the Digital Crown for several seconds. Once you hear a chime, you can make your request.
How Do I Increase the Volume on My AirPods Max?
If you’re a first-time Digital Crown user, you’re certainly not aware of its functions and quirks. One of the things that makes your AirPods Max unique from other headphones is its reverse functioning buttons. You would need to turn your knob counter-clockwise to adjust the volume.
That being said, you only need to do the opposite of what you’re used to on other devices. To turn the volume up, swipe backward and vice versa if you want to lower the audio.
How to Reverse Digital Crown Volume Controls
There are instances that you can’t get used to non-traditional upgrades, such as the opposite controls of your AirPods Max. Luckily, Apple gave you the wheels when it comes to adjusting your luxury headphones. Here’s how you do it:
- Navigate to the Settings page on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll through and select Bluetooth.
- Find your AirPods Max in the list of connected devices.
- Tap the ‘i’ button next to your Airpods model when paired.
- Click on Digital Crown.
- You’ll be presented with two options. The ‘Back to Front’ is the default, so choose the ‘Front to Back’ setting instead.
Note that you’ll only be able to adjust the Digital Crown controls using iPhones or iPads above iOS or iPadOS 14.3. It’s impossible to do with Mac with macOS Big Sur or Apple TV running on tvOS 14.2.
How Do I Mute AirPods Max?
If you’re looking for a button to directly control the mute or unmute microphone on your AirPods Max, then you’re in for a disappointment. Apple still hasn’t added a mute button on your headphones, so you’ll need the aid of external devices.
If you’re in a Zoom meeting or a Facetime call, you can toggle the call window. Then press the Mute button to mute and unmute yourself. This button is usually shown as a microphone icon, so you’ll easily find it among the others.
Why Are My AirPods Max So Quiet?
Your AirPods Max may be quiet because you have the volume on too low, or the volume cap may not be enough for you. Apple incorporates default safety features on its devices, your headphones included.
This volume limit has a maximum setting set based on the safe parameters for listening. If neither of these two is the problem, then your AirPods Max may have accumulated dirt over time.
Once you’ve exhausted all your options and it’s still giving low-quality sounds, then maybe the problem is in the earphones themselves. In that case, contact Apple Support immediately.
How Can I Make My AirPods Max Louder?
There are several ways to make your AirPods Max louder; you just need to choose which one works best for you. You may need to try them all, so you’ll need a bit of patience to reach the audio you desire. Check out the ways below:
Remove the volume cap
- Navigate towards the Settings screen. Then scroll down to ‘Sounds and Haptics’.
- Go to ‘Headphone Safety’ and toggle the on/off Reduce Loud Sound button.
- A slider will appear, which you can drag to adjust maximum volume output.
- Check your AirPods Max audio to notice the difference.
Turn Off Low Power Mode
- Swipe down to access Control Center. Depending on the device model you’re using, you can also swipe up.
- If you don’t have it available, go to Settings. Find the Control Center option and then toggle the plus sign beside the ‘Low Power Mode’.
Restart the Bluetooth Connection
- Play some music on your AirPods Max. Turn the Digital Crown knob to lower the volume to zero. You can also adjust the volume on your source device.
- Navigate to Settings, then Bluetooth. Disconnect your Max headphones in the ‘i’ icon located beside it.
- Once disconnected, your music will automatically pause playing. Play it once more and turn the volume to zero again.
- Reconnect your AirPods Max and increase the volume output.
Reset your AirPods Max
- Hold the Noise Control button and Digital Crown key simultaneously. This can last for 15 seconds and up.
- Once it has powered on and reset, connect your Max headphones the usual way.
- If none of these seem to work, then you can restart your device itself. Additionally, you can also opt to clean your wireless headphones.
How to Clean AirPods Max
Generally, you should do routine cleaning maintenance on your AirPods Max. This will prevent low-volume problems or just reduce grime and filth from accumulating. Here’s how:
Cleaning the Cushions and Headband
- Get a clean container and fill it with 250 ml (1 cup) of water. Add 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of mild laundry detergent and mix.
- Undo the detachable cushions from the ear cups.
- Use a lint-free cloth and dip it in your water detergent mix. Make sure the fabric isn’t too wet by wringing it.
- Rub the insides of the cushion gently for a minute each.
- With a separate cloth slightly damp with clean water, wipe each of the cushions.
- Do the same steps with the headband. Tip: hold your AirPods Max in an upside-down position to avoid soapy water flowing into the attachment point.
- Wipe the cushions and the headband with another dry, lint-free cloth. Check to see whether there are parts that retain moisture.
- Air dry for a minimum of one day, then reattach the cushions for use.
Since you’re cleaning your headphones, you may want to do so with the case as well. Just use a dry lint-free cloth to wipe the area and use isopropyl alcohol if necessary.
- Never clean your AirPods Max by soaking it in water.
- Always use a soft cloth, never abrasive materials.
- If your Max headphones got stained due to foreign substances like oil, hair dye, or lotions, use only fresh water and lint-free cloth.
- Make sure your AirPods Max is totally dry before use.
- Avoid spilling liquid in any of the openings as they’re not sealed.
Can I Replace AirPods Max Ear Cushions?
If you haven’t noticed, your AirPods Max has magnetically attached ear cushions. Apple adopted the genius idea of replacing the headphone ear cushion simply because they wear down as time goes by. You can even mix and match the colors according to your style preferences.
However, just like with every Apple innovation, there’s a catch. The replacement ear cushions don’t come in your AirPods Max bundle. You’ll need to purchase it separately, just like all other related accessories.
You can buy these cushions in the app store for $69, and they’re available in silver, green, black, sky blue, and red.
How to Make AirPods Max Sound Better
Your AirPods Max offers top-notch sound quality at its best. However, there are several functions you can turn on to tailor it according to your preferences. Here are some steps to make your premium headphones sound even better:
Activate Headphone Accommodations
- If you’re not using the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, make time for the updates.
- Navigate to the Settings page and go to Accessibility.
- Select the ‘Audio/Visual’ option and then turn on Headphone Accommodations.
- Once turned on, adjust your preferred custom audio settings. Click ‘Turn On Media’ if you like to apply it to music, movies, audiobooks, podcasts, and Siri.
- Select ‘Turn on Phone’ if you’d prefer to apply it on phone calls, FaceTime, or other third-party video calls.
- You can now customize your headphone audio settings. You can adjust it via Custom Audio Setup where you listen to audio samples. This enables you to select sounds based on your preferences.
- You can also opt to use your audiogram data or manual audio adjustments.
Custom Audio Setup
- First, reset your audio configurations to default.
- To do this, navigate to Settings, then music. Look for EQ, then turn off ‘Music EQ’.
- Go back to the Setting page, then go to Accessibility. Tap on Audi/Visual and set the audio balance in the middle.
- Connect your AirPods Max and ensure that you’re in a noise-free space.
- Once more, go to Settings, then Accessibility. In the Audio/Visual option, select ‘Headphone Accommodations’.
- Tap Custom Audio Setup and follow the device instructions. Once finished, you can press ‘Use Custom Settings’ to apply them.
- Go to the Custom Audio Setup page, then select ‘Use Audiogram’. This will connect your audiogram data from the Health app.
- Your custom audio settings will automatically adjust depending on the Health Data. If you possess a nearly symmetric audiogram, the Headphones Accommodation will consider the two ears. It will fit the left and right audio based on both your ears.
- Similarly, if you have a better hearing on one side, the left and the right audio channels will adjust based on this.
Manual Audio Adjustment
- Go to the Headphone Audio page. Press ‘Play Sample’ to listen to an audio based on your current sound setting.
- As you listen to the sample, you can manually change them.
- You can also adjust the volume balance between your right and left ear cups for better playback. Navigate to Settings, then Accessibility. Click on Audio/Visual and toggle the Balance slider.
How Do I Use Wired Mode on AirPods Max?
If you’re a headset aficionado, you’re aware that every wireless headphone has audio latency. This delay can downgrade your AirPods Max immersive sound experience. Luckily, you can use wired mode on Apple’s premium Airpods Max headphones to solve this.
Before everything else, you’d need to purchase the Lightning to Audio Cable. And no – it isn’t included in your AirPods Max bundle like all other extra Apple accessories. You can buy it for $35 in the online store.
Once you have your aux cord on hand, connect the Lightning port to your Max headphones. Then plug in the audio port to your intended device. Note that it has a universal size of 3.5 mm, so make sure your device is compatible!
How Do I Make My AirPods Max Sleep?
If you’re not using your AirPods Max, then you can immediately trigger sleep mode to preserve battery life. This can directly be done if you have Apple’s soft Smart Case on hand.
You only need to stash your Max headphones in the case, and they will automatically go to sleep. Your AirPods Max will preserve battery life in this mode, although it still has several features turned on.
Can I Make AirPods Max Sleep Without Smart Case?
You can put your AirPods Max to sleep even without the help of the Smart Case. Just leave your Airpods down and leave them alone for five minutes, and they’ll enter sleep mode on their own.
To help your headphones power down even quicker, activate the Automatic Head Detection feature. This enables your smart headphones to sense whether they’re worn or not, so they recognize that they’re not in use.
How to Turn Off AirPods Max
You can’t actually turn off your AirPods Max, whether you use your source device or look desperately for a power button on the headphones. The only way to enter a pseudo-power-off mode is to leave it alone for eighteen hours in the Smart Case.
Apple called this state the “ultralow” power mode. The Bluetooth connection and Find My Device applications are turned off.
If you don’t have your Smart Case in the stash, leaving your AirPods Max stationary for seventy-two hours will also trigger the ultralow state.
How to Update AirPods Max
To update your AirPods Max, ensure your connected device is running on the latest iOS or iPadOS version. If your operating system is the most recent one, then chances are your Max headphones have already adapted too.
However, on the off chance that it is not, you can update them manually:
- Connect your over-ear Airpods to your chosen device.
- Play audio for about thirty seconds, then pause.
- Make sure to put your headphones in their Smart Case. Then plug it in for charging. A hole is aligned with your Max headphones charging port to do this simultaneously.
- Wait for a few moments for the system to trigger automatic updates.
The firmware update will start without prompt and end the same way. As such, you’ll need to wait a few minutes to ensure that the upgrade is really finished.